Brain and Behavior

Deep Sleep

For a long time, I have been interested in the functions of the brain and how some of the function affect our daily lives. The TED videos were extremely interesting to me and gave me a lot of insight into how my brain actually works. I really enjoyed watching the videos on sleep. I have heard that when we are awake, we only use 10% of our brain's capacity, and when we sleep, we use the other 90%. Since hearing that, I have wondered what my brain does during the night. I found it interesting in the TED video on Deep Sleep, that there are certain sounds that can be played to allow someone to go into a deep sleep. Here is the link to the TED talk:
 https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gartenberg_the_brain_benefits_of_deep_sleep_and_how_to_get_more_of_it

Morality/Sin

However, the most interesting of the TED talks was the one on how the brain makes moral decisions.

Link:
https://www.ted.com/talks/rebecca_saxe_how_brains_make_moral_judgments (Links to an external site.)

The test that was used to see how different aged children responded to the same situation was very cool. Between three children, ages 3-7, the children all responded differently to the questions posed to them. Their answers gradually became closer and closer to how an adult would answer. It was interesting to me that the part of the brain that makes moral decisions develops slower than any part of the brain. Being a Christian, this made me think of sin. Sin is a moral issue. Young children have to learn the difference between right and wrong, but it takes time for them to fully understand it.


When God created Adam and Eve, he created man and woman with the ability to choose. God, then gave them a moral choice and told them the consequence that they would have to endure if they chose wrong. Since they chose wrong, knowing that there was a terrible consequence, I wonder if their brains were not fully developed in that area yet. Then again, I don't know if morality would have even existed before the fall of man. The fall of man was the beginning of a moral issue.


Comments

  1. Hi Kevin, your view on this topic really opened up my eyes because I have never really thought about it that way. Maybe their brains weren't fully developed in knowing right and wrong as you said in your first paragraph. I also wanted to write over the same TED talk, I was very interested by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah man, it is interesting! I like to try to find a connection to the Bible with everything that I read. Try it!

      Delete
  2. I do need to say that, I do not hold as fact that their brains were not fully developed, it was only a thought. I don't want to be looked at as a heretic, if I am completely wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts