Learning

Classical Conditioning

The text referred to classical conditioning as: "a form of learning in which animals or people make a connection between two stimuli that have occurred together such that one predicts the other."

This is really cool. My family used to train breed and train 2 types of dogs, Beagles, and a Labrador. We used the classical conditioning method of learning when we trained our dogs. Instead of using a bell to indicate the time to eat, we used a whistle. When the dogs heard the whistle, they knew that food was coming. I have also seen this done with cows. Once the food was laid out for each dog, we would have them all sit and wait for the whistle to be blown. When the whistle blew, all of the dogs would rush to their own bowls and commence the feast. It took a long time to get to that point. Classical conditioning is very time consuming if you want the right result. 

Now, with me, many of the experiences that I have had with classical conditioning are hard to pinpoint. When I try to think of the things that I have been conditioned to do or think, I struggle. The first thing that comes to mind is my sense of smell. Sometimes I smell certain things and the scents send my mind to places that I have been, or to people that have had a large influence in my life. When I smell certain perfumes, I think of my grandma. When I smell bacon, I think of my brother. Certain things that I experience take me back to other memories. 

Operant Conditioning

Operant conditioning is defined as, "a form of learning in which the consequences of a voluntary behavior affect the likelihood that the behavior will recur."

For me, Operant conditioning is more common. The best example of this that I can think of is a Rubik's Cube. With a Rubik's Cube, there are 43,252,003,274,489,856,000 combinations that can be produced, but there are algorithms that can solve any and all of those combinations if done correctly. I like to think of operant conditioning as learning by trial and error. Just like Thorndike's Puzzle Box, the cats learned what different behaviors caused the door to open. Trial and Error. 

Observational Learning

Observational learning is defined as, "learning that occurs as a result of observing others’ behavior and consequences rather than your own."

An example that was given was how a child imitated adults when beating up a bobo doll. The children, both boy, and girl copied the adult in every sing way that they attacked. I think this may be a more common method of learning. Children learn most from their parents or guardians. By observing their parent or guardian's behavior, they learn how to live. I learned most of what I know now about life, from my parents and other extended family. I also learn how not to "do life" from mistakes that are made. In my opinion, this is the easiest way to learn. It's also extremely helpful when trying to find occupations. 

Comments

  1. Kevin,
    I like your blog on these three types of learning. I agree that observational learning is a very common way we learn in addition to the other types. We can learn positive and negative behaviors as children from the people we are around. It really bothers me when I hear a small child cursing because I know that they were influenced negatively from someone they were around.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts